Thursday, June 6, 2013

Assignment Two: Influencers, Video Campaigns, and Personal Social Media Dashboard

For this week's assignment, I must complete three separate tasks: (1) Search for 5 Influencers (well known or influential people) in an industry of my choice, select a social media tool to use for metrics, and rank them; (2) Search for a video campaign, write a blurb about how I found it, how many views the video has on YouTube, and how many times it is/was mentioned in the news; and (3) Create a personal "Social Graph Dashboard" of my personal social media identity.

And so, for your viewing pleasure, may I present :Assignment Two":

Part I:

I selected the restaurant industry, specifically in Washington, D.C. The idea here is for me to think, "Okay, if I were starting my own restaurant, who would I want to mention me positively in social media? Who are the influential people in this industry I need/want to target and get on my side and help me out by voicing support of my venture?" Using Twitter as my search and metric tool, I found five "Influencers" who I would target. Here is their rank and follower count:

1. Jamie Oliver: 3,329,624
2. Jose Andres: 188,237
3. Carla Hall: 58,826
4. Spike Mendelsohn: 40,107
5. Mike Isabella: 28,166

Part II:

For this part of the assignment, I selected K-Mart's new "Ship My Pants" video campaign. This commercial was originally intended to be a simple viral video campaign, but it became so popular the store began airing it on television too. I initially came across this commercial via my brother's Facebook page. (Props again to social media!). On 6/5/2013 K-Mart's "Ship My Pants" video campaign had 18,302,838 views on YouTube, and (using a Google News Search) had 552 stories written about it! Not bad for a viral video campaign from a company not known for their edgy/memorable advertising. Two thumbs up K-Mart! You make me want to run down to your store and ship my pants!

Part III:

Here is my personal "Social Graph Dashboard". This only lists the results of my profiles from my top five favorite social media sites:

Facebook: 1,240
Instagram: 286
Twitter: 224
LinkedIn: 208
Google+: 23

As you can see, I don't use Google+ plus that much... actually... who does?  I LOVE twitter quite a bit. I use it more than any other social media site and I believe it is the best social media tool for my personal purposes.






No comments:

Post a Comment